Recipe: Vegetable Wellington
- 1 leek
- 1 onion
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 ½ cups chestnuts (cooked and peeled)
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp thyme, fresh (1 tbsp dried)
- 2 clove garlic (diced)
- 150 g salad cheese (a soft cow’s milk cheese, a little like feta. If you can’t find it, use feta instead)
- 600 g puff pastry (1 large sheet per 3 people)
- Chop the leek and onion finely and fry softly in butter.
- While they’re cooking, dice the sweet potato into small pieces and then add to the pan after five minutes, along with the garlic and thyme.
- Cook gently for another five minutes to ten minutes. Crush the chestnuts with a fork or masher and also add to the pan. Cook for another two minutes. Finally, add the spinach and turn off the heat, stirring often.
- After it’s cooled a little, crumble the soft cheese into the mixture.
- Pour the cooled mixture into cling-wrap into a ‘log’ shape (one for each sheet of pastry).
- Wrap tightly and let cool in the fridge for an hour.
- Lay out your puff pastry and roll the filling into the middle.
- Use a brush a little water onto the edges of the pasty as you fold it together, then use a fork to squish the edges together.
- Cut off any leftover pastry into festive shapes and add to the wellingtons.
- Bake for 35 mins on 180°C/360°F